The Government today has confirmed that it will be mandatory as a Condition of Entry for all people (including staff) that aren’t primary or preschool age, to wear masks at all times while indoors (unless eating, drinking or swimming) in the Perth and Peel region for the period of 12:01am Saturday 1st May – 12:01am 8th Saturday May 8th 2021.
Basketball WA is extremely disappointed with the Governments decision despite pointing out that this means that 30,000 Western Australians who would have been playing basketball this week will no longer be able to do so as a result of this decision.
In discussions with our Associations and Stakeholder groups, we understand it is impractical for basketball games at the level of NBL1 West and WABL to proceed with players and referees having to wear masks. It is thus the decision of Basketball WA to postpone all Round 3 and Friday night Round 4 (7th May) NBL1 WEST fixtures and cancel all Round 2 WABL fixtures due to be played this weekend.
Each Association in conjunction with their local venue operator will make decisions on whether Domestic competitions for those over 12 proceed this week dependant on the willingness and ability of players and referees to play with masks.
All activities for those Under 12 year of age may be able to proceed without masks at the discretion of Associations and clubs.
We understand how frustrating this is for our Basketball community, being the second week in a row games have had to be postponed. We will continue to follow the WA Government guidelines.
• If you are unwell, please get tested at one of the COVID WA Clinics.
• Do not attend basketball training or competitions if you have a fever, sore throat, cough, or shortness of breath. Please seek medical advice and get tested.
• Wash your hands regularly.
• Ensure you bring a towel and labelled water bottle to games and training. Avoid sharing food and beverages.
• Wipe down score benches & team benches in between games.
• Venues will continue to be required to maintain a contact register for patrons. This is a shared responsibility between venues and patrons, and penalties may apply for failing to comply.
Our community’s safety and health are a priority, so we will continue to follow the latest guidelines and requirements.
WA COVID Updates: www.wa.gov.au
PROTOCOLS for Domestic League
Everyone over the age of 12 must wear a mask when they enter the stadium, and it must remain on at all times unless they are drinking or eating.
30 APRIL 2021
For further information, please contact