Tributes have been pouring in this morning as the news of the passing of one of Western Australian basketball’s most colourful personalities. It is with great sadness that Basketball WA advises of the sudden passing of Paul Pinker.
Paul’s contribution to the sport was enormous. He was keen to make the most of every opportunity to be involved, whether it was as a referee at an Association Cup Primary School Carnival, a coach at an Under 12 Shooting Star or Under 14 Hot Shot Camp or Skills Day, an assistant coach at West Coast Waves, or at the WA Metro Under 16 Men’s State team training, NITP and RAP training sessions – he just could not get enough basketball.
Not content to merely take part in almost every Basketball WA program, Paul also worked tirelessly as an Assistant Coach at Perry Lakes Hawks for the Under 14 and Under 18 men’s WABL teams, as well as being one of the clubs most ardent supporters.
Paul also coached in domestic competitions at Wanneroo Basketball Association as well as coaching kids at the Altone Park Recreation Centre. These places will certainly be the poorer for Paul’s passing.
Paul was always there – always reliable, always thinking of a new and interesting approach to keep kids involved. His energy and enthusiasm was infectious. His cheeky grin and banter always kept you smiling.
Paul could always find a way to put a positive spin on every situation – he was one of the most “glass half full” people you could wish to meet – optimistic, constructive, helpful, buoyant and an all round good bloke.
Basketball WA would like to convey our deep and sincere condolences to Leah, Theron and the Pinker family.
· Very sad to hear the news of Paul Pinker’s passing… He was always there waves, nitp, rap you name it he just would not go away… Not only a great coach but my true friend someone I could rely on and with a passion for basketball that was second to none… Paul you will be so sadly missed… My heart goes out to Leah, Dom and Theron… I miss you already… RIP
· RIP Paul Pinker – one of the nicest, caring and genuine people, that myself and so many others were all so lucky to know. My love and thoughts are with the Pinker family. X
· RIP Paul Pinker. Always a big smile. Always enthusiastic. So passionate about basketball. You will be missed xox
· I am shocked and saddened by the loss of one of the true characters in the basketball world. I will miss our entertaining chats in the first aid room, and having you greet me with a cheeky grin every single time you see me. Farewell, my friend.
· The world just became a slightly less colourful place – RIP my good mate PP.
· Devastated! You will be truly missed. RIP Paul xxxxx
· Rip Paul pinker u be missed my good friend
· a little bit of me was just lost forever. you influenced me more than you can imagine, this is not good bye but a see you later old friend.