Basketball WA is very appreciative of the work undertaken by the Department of Sport and Recreation in managing the construction of this world class facility.
Many members of the basketball community have been asking about the timeframe for Basketball WA to move into New Stadium and when basketball activities will commence at this venue.
By way of an update, I am pleased to advise as follows:
- Basketball WA continues to discuss with Venues West (the stadium manager) the terms and conditions of BWA’s occupancy and use.
- Basketball WA is concerned about the proposed costs to be charged at the new stadium and potential cost to basketball participants. The BWA Executive is further concerned to ensure the long term financial sustainability of basketball in Western Australia and the continued ability of BWA to be able to grow and develop the game without needing to increase fees unreasonably.
- The BWA Executive is currently working through a process of discussion at various levels of the State Government to ensure basketball interests are protected.
- The New Stadium will be opened on 24 January 2010. A Legends basketball game and a Wheelchair basketball game are planned for the opening. Basketball WA is delighted to be involved in this historic event and encourages all members and participants to support the opening. A flyer promoting the opening has been distributed and a copy is on our website.
- Basketball activities will continue to be conducted at the Perry Lakes Stadium until further notice.
- As soon as an agreement has been reached as to BWA’s occupancy and use of the new stadium, members and participants will be advised of the transfer of activities.
Thank you for your patience as we progress discussions to ensure your interests as basketball members and participants are protected into the future.
Chief Executive Officer